Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:19:47 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How easy is it to remove the intake runnersw ith the engine
              installed ?

Thanks.I really dont want to do this,but no choice, it seems.Got to think outside the WBX if I want to keep driving. Well, I am down to the gasket proper. There it is. I ripped out the gasket on the underside, and I cant stop now.Very difficult to do this. The rubber is under pressure and dosnt want to come out.The delicate part of the demalition is done.I think a pushrod tube will need a dab of jb weld to prevent the pushrod from wearing a holed(Not the first time).

The runners were bolted down with no torque at all. Maybe a vacuum leak here. The o-rings are cracked, but we all knew that,right.I am going to use a allen wrench to reachin a pull(gouge)out the the rubber gasket.Any other gouge ideas is welcomed. I will do the damage tomorrow .

Thisvanagon will recover with a tube or two of permatex hi-temp gasket maker(comes in a gold tube at your local flaps).1 hour dry time and 24 hr. cure @70 degrees. It is very nice ot work outside today with my heat gun drying out the inside of the head and the waste heat rising up to where I am working.Even the altenator was warm.

I have good access all around.After 1 hour has passed the jb or quick steel will cover this up for support and so it wont come out. I willuse 80 grit to shine the space onthe head and water jacket where the RTV will mate.

That is about it. Not rocket science like the origional rubber gasket is.If anyone has had any ideas about doing an end run around this nasty area of the vanaogn let the ideas flow now. I am all ears<00>, and my vanagon is a willing gunie pig(oink).