Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:32:06 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: replaced tranny but no move. What next?

I put a 'newly rebuilt' TC in my van and the guy at the shop where I bought it told me it would fill quickly on its own; I just needed to make sure that I the pan was full of fluid to begin with and that I took some fresh fluid and 'lubed' the various contact points I could get to (like the seal and the shaft seat). I then topped it off, let it warm up and shifted thru the gears, topping it off again as it needed it until I was done.

On the other hand, if you had taken the tranny out for some other reason (say to work on the crank seals or something), you would be presumably be putting your TC back in with whatever fluid was in it, so doing it that way undoubtedly wouldn't hurt anything. You'd just have to be sure you didn't overfill it, of which I understand these trannys are not particularly forgiving. As I recall that was the main reason the guy told me to put mine on empty.

Speaking of the crank seals, there are those (where are you, Stan?) that say you should go ahead and replace the front one while you have the tranny out for GP so you don't have to pull the tranny to do it later. I'm normally in favor of doing things like that, but considering your overall situation you might leave well enough alone, unless you feel up to trying it- I understand it isn't that bad of a job, or at least, pulling the tranny is the worst part of it. Somebody else might want to chime in.

You can get the seals etc. that you were asking about from some of the online vendors or you can most likely get them from a local tranny shop, if you know one you think you can trust. For that matter, since you have the old one sitting out, you might get the offending seals replaced by the shop fairly cheaply (parts and a couple/few hours labor). If you're going to keep this van and mainly work on it yourself, I'd vote for keeping on with what you've started and just go for it yerself.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Sisler" <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:34 AM Subject: Re: replaced tranny but no move. What next?