Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:23:22 -0800
From:         Jon Brown <jbrown510@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upgrading Projectzwo Bulbs to 100w and/or Yellow

> >From: Christopher Gronski > >My plan is this: Wire the Projectzwo fog lights to the second lamp > >position (the driving lights position) so that they come on sans > >headlights for use in fog. My question is: If you follow the factory wiring diagram (Bentley) and use the VW factory Fog light switch you will accomplish this. You'll be able to turn the fog lights on so long as the parking lights are on.

Also, FYI, the factory fog light switch has two positions, I thought this might have something to do with being turned on with/without low beams... however, I'm now fairly sure that it was for the wiring of rear fog lights used in some countries. I've never heard of them in the US, but I've seen something about the tail light lens accommodating them.

>From: "Bruce Nadig" > I am currently running 100w bulbs in my ProjektZwo fog lights. The results > are amazing. Very low flat beam of light spread far to both the left and > right. Low enough to stay out of eyes.

Not to belabor the point, but your wrong. The PZ fog lights DO blind oncoming cars, regardless of what bulbs you have installed.

Park you car on a flat road. Turn on your low-beams and your fog lights. Walk 50 meters down the road, turn around and tell me just how bright your fog lights look compared to your low-beams. I've done it, it's not good. My low-beams are fed via a really so they are nice and bright and properly aimed, but the PZ fogs will "look" brighter and cast more glare. FYI, I have the stock bulbs in the PZ's and they are plenty bright I can't imagine the 100W bulbs.

In short the PZ fog lights do bleed light into the eyes of on coming cars. The fundemental problems with the PZ's are: 1) there is no proper way to aim them and 2) the lens housing is too shallow to generate a "proper" fog light beam and 3) they are mounted higher than the typical HEADLIGHT on a typical car, let alone where fog lights belong.