Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:07:13 -0800
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      My 'new' Dehler Syncro arrived HOME

Yesterday I cleared the van through Canadian customs and was able to drive my 'new' Dehler Syncro 16" van HOME!

My initial reaction is WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! It drives like a TRUCK, not like the "Porche of vans," that is my beloved Syncro 14 Westy!

I'm guessing that the tank-like ride is due to the D rated tyres, monster Goodyear Wrangler AP 235/70R16 tyres (on 7.5Jx16H2 rims)! Do all of these things drive like a TANK?????

My initial impression of the Dheler interior is that the High-Top is a work of art, but the rest of the 'downstairs'...... what were they thinking....... no wonder they went out of business.

Today it was 10C degrees and I had a day to try and bond with the van. I've had 3 different Westies since 1981, and I am conditioned to the Westy as THE interior. The Dehler interior takes some getting used to. It seems more set up as a business interior where all that needs to be done is to serve wine and pate. It will take some getting used to.

Buying the van has been about a 3 or 4 month process. It could NOT have been done without Marc Peters of http://mobylhome.nl/ I can recommend Marc to any, and everyone.

As you may recall, this is a UNIQUE Dehler Syncro 16". I have wanted a Syncro 16 for a long time, and when this one came available in Dusseldorf, I took a chance and bought it. My initial post (with liks to photos) is at: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0511b&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=28603

Yesterday afternoon (4 hours start to finish) I:

1) Payed Wallenius Wilhelmsen for the RORO shipping of my van from ZeeBrugge to Halifax. US$1,250 (CDN$1,450), 2) Paid the CND$210 Import tax on the van and it was 'cleared' by CDN Customs (as the van is greater than 15 years old, this is NOT a problem in Canada), 3) Agriculture Canada, looked at the van and found no dirt, so they 'released' the van (did not need cleaning). 4) a ride out to the auto-port to collect the van and drive it home (without plates).

Door-to-door this took about 4 hours. I helps that I live here in the port city of Halifax.

Anyway, tomorrow I go down and get license plates for the van. Take care. Malcolm

__________________________________ Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/