Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:30:34 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Intro and New Engine Question
Comments: To: Eric Luebbers <a91syncro@YAHOO.COM>

Eric Luebbers wrote:

>Hi everyone >I have been Lurking for a while and now have a Question about my >replacement Engine. I have checked the archives and need to know what >should I replace while putting in a new motor. Radiator and fuel hoses are >on order and so is a new water pump. Is there anything else that that I >have forgotten. > > > Thank you in advance Eric > > > 1991 syncro > 1999 subaru wagon > > Robert Lilley built what eventually became referred to as the "Lilley Engine", and one feature of the engine he applied to improve it for longevity was to port the oil pump and the water pump. He basically just ground the ports on the pumps and polished them to improve flow of fluids. Maybe something to consider if those items are not already installed. (assuming this a WBX)

Another thing is to be sure an install a new oil resistant hose between the crankcase breather port and the AFM.

While the engine is out, and things are easier to get to in the engine bay, bypass or replace with metal that stupid plastic fuel fitting at the firewall. They get old, they crack and create a dangerous situation with fuel leaks.

Be sure the fuel injectors get new seals, and the little hoses between the fuel rails and injectors are replaced.

Once all new hoses are in place, give it all a lookover and check for chafing spots. Install plastic hose protectors or chafing strips to prevent hoses from being worn through.

I have this list of things that I follow based on my own experience with the vanagons since 1986.

Engine: (after thorough break in operation) Oil - Mobil One 15-50 Synthetic Filter: - Mann/Mahle filter Hoses - change out every 5 years, Fuel lines - change out every 5 years. Coolant: -Texaco Havoline GM orange biodegradable - with 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter

Tranny (manual) Oil - Redline MT 90 - Change every 2 years

CV Joints - Lube every 25,000 miles

Something you might want to consider along with this engine change is new clutch assembly while you have it all apart - at least if you have a manual tranny. It is a good time to have the flywheel surfae machined true, and possibly an new oil seal installed at the crank.

Wish you the best on your engine change.

Regards

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver