Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:15:32 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camping w/ 2 year old - suggestions

The ease of traveling/camping with a kid depends largely on how "high maintenance" your kid is, I think. Kids are incredibly adaptable, if not influenced by the fears of their parents or taught that they need a crate full of toys to entertain themselves everywhere they go. Evon and I have taken long road trips in VW campers with our daughter Haley since she was an infant. Her first camping trip and music festival was at 6 weeks old. At 5 months old she spent a month with us traveling through Europe in a VW camper. By two years she was already an "old pro." having been on camping trips, road trips, or music festivals with us dozens of times. Now 7 years old, she starts asking when the next trip in the Westy is as soon as the winter begins to thaw! She can't wait, and literally crosses off the days on a calendar in her bedroom until the season's first camping trip.

When Haley was an infant we found a small wooden cradle that wedged perfectly across the passenger seat (when forward facing). At 1 or 2 she was sleeping in the area behind the sofabed (over the engine), or we all crowded into the lower bad. As she got a litlle bigger she started sleeping with Mommy "downstairs" while I slept up top. Now we let her choose between upstairs and downstairs herself. If we caravan with other friends who have kids and a Westy, sometimes we have "sleepovers" where a couple of kids spend the night together in one Westy while the other kid's parents get a break for the night. :-)

We found a Side Tent to be invaluable for stays of longer than one night in a single location. When Haley was a toddler, it served as an enclosed area for her to play in during inclement weather. When she was potty-training, we turned the tent's sleeping cabin into a bathroom with a porta-potty inside it. This really excited her to have her own private bathroom, and it sure made our lives easier! :-) For overnight stays, if rain is predicted, we use an Ezy-Awning (faster to put up and down than a tent) so there is still a dry area to play in besides the confines of the van. (This also keeps her from getting under-foot if Evon is cooking dinner inside the van, since it can be pretty cramped in there.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT