Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:34:01 -0500
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: lifter cam Q, 1.9 to 2.1
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>

lifters can be reused but the contact face wears over time some regrind others just polish and I replace them with FEBI brand I have an article on lifters at my web site http://www.bostomengine.com

> 2) is the cam the same from 1.9L to 2.1L. they have the same cam gear part > number, so?

The 1.9 cam has the same as the bug cam in lift exhaust just under .300ths at the push rod and aprox .325 at the valve. Intake is just over .305 at the push rod and .335 at the valve the 2.1 cam has an exhaust lift of .348ths at the valve and the intake is .368th again at the valve The third cam that is used is the HP Cam or the lilley profile the intake profile is gound to the exhaust lobe and they have the same lift within a couple ths I use these on my stage 3 big valve engines

> 3) What is the Stroke and bore on a 1.9L vs. a 2.1L?

The 2.1 crank is a 76 mm stroke as I recall dont recall the 1.9 stroke

> 4) what if any internal differences in part interchangablity? if i have > the 2.1 crank will it drop into the 1.9L case and vise versa? also are the > Rods the same > between the 2? The main journals are the same so the main bearing from one fits the other and the 2.1 crank does fit in a 1.9 block but the rods will hit the case if not gound around the head of the bolts. or you could clearance the case I just stripped a GEX engine and it had some clearanced rods. Im not tempted to try to use them again the rod casting is the same but the bolt is differant the 1.9 rod uses a bug stlye bolt and the 2.1 uses a stretch to yeild bolt with a smaller head

> Well the cases are off being cleaned the crank has had the rods hung and > im about ready to put the cam and dist. drive gears on. but need info on > checking lifters and such before short block assembly. The big end of the 2.1 rods distorts over time and you should not reuse the bolts and have the rods resized on the big ends at the same time. Cant tell you how many time folks have come to me with rebuilds that the rods did not get done and the engine lasted 6K there is a rod article on my web site Called low oil pressure at low idle that talks about the rods

I stock a full line of new 2.1 engine parts and can help you with all your rebuilding needs that includes tech support

Bob Donalds Boston Engine Exchange