Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:12:20 -0800
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Running a 1.9 without any head gasket

Did the repair as best I can,and went for a test frive of 15 miles today. Well, I can say I didnt destroy my 1.9.At times I thought I had. It started up and ran just fine this morning.

I completely removed the right head gasket and replaced it with RTV/Quick steel.Costs $25. 6 tubes of quick steel and a tube of RTV.I have to watch especially during a cold spell at night.No leaks at all so far,here.

The left bank however seems to have a small drip till the engine gets warm(only 1 heat up trial to go by) . This side was only patched with RTV /quick steel.Seems to be ok ,though.

The problem is a pushrod tube was punctured somehow. these alujinum foil devices are fragile. I will cleanit off and pull outthe JB again for this.Thekey here is ruoghening up the aluminum and cleaning it first.Ive done it before and no big deal here.I have a couple of adjustable tubes in reserve.

The engine is very smooth. I think I found a oil leak in the breather tower. Loose nutz at the base masqueraded as a main seal leaking. I hose clamped every hose connection for insurance from vacuum leaks. The intake runner was loose at the base at the fuelinjectors. new o-rings at the injectors.Thanks forthe tip on cutting holes inthe tin to remove the head draining bolts,Mike.

Yeah, lots of work and not what you want others to see.I passed the point of no return when I removed lots of aluminum from the head and case where they meet. I want roughened surface area and immaculate cleanleness for the RTV and QS.If this is successful in the long run, I think Iavoided other pitfalls of cylinder head removal.namely stud snappage and costs.Engine runs smoooooth.I never considered a rebuild for this or any WBX,so the heads were fair game to whatever need ed to be done.Head removel is not doable at this point, but that never mattered to me.Just not going there with a engine with 187K. If this works till summer, I may do the other bank like the one I just did.Imagine freedom form head gasket leaks and phosphate free antifreeze.Love the lack of power.

I used an old drill bit and let it rip.u know when hylou are trying to drill a hole and the drill skips allovwer the place? I cleaned the insid ea nd outside of the head and case to perfection.Gouge city.

Verylow tech stuff. No special skills needed except loonacy.No special VW tools except contemmpt for head gasket technologyand money all tied up elsewhere.

Roger

--------------------------------- Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less