Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:57:11 -0800
From:         Björn Ratjen <Bjorn@IGLIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Failed Crankshaft seal yet again

At 05:25 PM 04/01/2006, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:25:28 -0800 >From: David Shepherdson <shepherdsond@METRO.DST.OR.US> > >Thanks to all that gave me feedback on this problem. One suggestion was >excessive crankcase pressure, I am pretty sure that the breather hose >(to the intake boot) is OK but will certainly double check (and try >putting my hand over the oil filler pipe when I get it running to see if >I can feel it).

Excessive pressure can cause the oil to go by, but as John Rodgers wrote, it is unlikely to damage the seal very quickly.

snip

>By the way Ratjen asks what I mean by >catastrophic failure? I mean that all the oil drains out in a couple of >seconds while the engine is running and of course the oil warning buzzer >comes on. This is caused by actual damage to the seal (the sealing lip >which contacts the flywheel was torn the first time and the face of the >seal that faces the flywheel had a small crack in it the second time). >I can't be sure that this is what happened the times before I bought it, >it could be just that the seal was dripping oil. Judging by the speed at >which the oil came out this time I am pretty sure that the seal is >damaged again for the third time, it will be interesting to see where. >Could this kind of seal damage occur as a result of crank or flywheel >wobble or case mis-alignment(I can see how that might cause leaks but it >is not so obvious why that would damage the seal). I can also rule out >pilot bearing as I changed this last time it happened.

Catastrophic failure means that a part or several parts basically disintegrate. This can make it difficult to analyze the cause. If your oil is coming out that fast ("seconds") then there is another issue. Your engine contains 4 liters of oil. How long does it take to pour 4 litres into the engine at full stream from a container? The crankshaft seal basically keeps the oil that is spun by the crankshaft from flowing any further. Even if you would leave the seal out it would take a while (minutes) to dump all the oil from the engine. If you lose oil that quickly ("seconds") then there must be another leak. If there is damage to the seal then the location and direction of the damage can tell the story of the injury (overstretching, contact with sharp object, etc.)

The pilot bearing is important for the integrity of transmission seal to avoid wobble of the transmission shaft.

snip

>Thanks, >David >

Björn

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D. Cobble Hill, B.C. phone/fax (250) 743-7575