Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jan 2006 02:03:28 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant options

florian:

any ethylene glycol based coolant sold at shucks or walmart is "safe" for the wbx. that said, the oem vw blue, as well as conventional types, may provide better protection from water pump cavitation erosion than the new extended life coolants. aside from their extended life, one advantage of the extended life types is that they do not coat metal surfaces, thereby facilitating heat transfer.

back in 1998 i took over maintainance on a 1984 1.9 l with about 150 k mi; it had been using conventional coolant for many years. hearing horror stories of the then new dexcool gelling in older, perhaps dirty cooling systems, and problems with water pump cavitation erosion in pumps designed for conventional coolant, i decided to stay with conventional coolant, and encountered no difficulties, with now about 200 k mi on the engine. at the time i took the system to be chemically passivated for conventional coolant chemistry, right down to the tiniest microscopic level.

to avoid corrosion, the main thing is to keep the ph above about 8 (ph is 7 for pure water, 12 for new 100% ethylene glycol). low ph means an acidic solution, which is bad.

today i use a 50/50 mix of conventional, green, napa brand ethylene coolant and distilled water for our 1.9 l.

dan