Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:13:07 -0800
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wes.neuenschwander@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Seattle Area 2.1L Rebuild Options (NW Connecting Rod vs. GoWesty)

The time has come to re-power my '91 Westy. 30# of compression in cylinder #3 (probably due to a failed valve in my 70K old AMC cylinder head job) coupled with progressive loss of compression overall and falling oil pressures over the last few years tells me it's time to bite the bullet and replace the (original) 2.1L WBX engine. I considered TiiCo, but decided I wouldn't be happy with the additional noise and vibration (I always liked the 'vibe and feel' of the WBX I guess anyhow; call me a traditionalist) nor the 'experimental' nature of any conversion (call me a conservative - but not *that* kind of conservative!).

Anyhow, I'm now looking at my rebuild options, with two currently standing out: Northwest Connecting Rod (a local Seattle shop) and GoWesty. Northwest Connecting Rod is highly respected locally (pretty much "the" place for rebuilds, according to all the good local shops) and the recommendation of my mechanic, Chris Delong at Fine Tuning; IMHO "the" place for VW service in the NW; truly wizards, brilliant, devoted to VW's and honest and fair almost to a fault). Either way I'd probably go with a modest oversize (2.2 L) and reworked AMC heads (upgraded valves). GoWesty makes a *very* appealing pitch, however, with it's custom head jobs, custom pistons, higher outputs (per cc) and apparent attention to quality and detail, and, of course, the 4 year/48K (pro-rata) warranty! Would be interested in opinions, sagas and recommendations regarding either of these options/vendors from any of you other Vanagon owners out there.

Thanks!!

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander

Seattle, WA USA