Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:05:30 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syndrome??

I'm a newbie here, but I've thought about the fabled "Vanagon syndrome" quite a bit, partly because my '84 Westy did the bucking thing coming over Tehachapi Pass in the middle of the night and put a fright into my wife and me both...like, were we going to spend the rest of our lives in this California desert town?

It strikes me as odd that there are so many "fixes" for what appears to be the same problem. If in fact it is the same problem, this could only mean that there are multiple causes for it operating at the same time. How could one person's vacuum leak fix have the same effect as another person's soldering in a capacitor in the AMM? Both seem to fix the same problem. Doesn't make sense.

What I'm thinking is that the Vanagon syndrome is actually caused by two (or more) faults happening simultaneously, and only when they sync up do you have the bucking, loss of power, etc. This would explain why fixing one of the problems would seem to fix the Vanagon syndrome. They need to operate together to cause the syndrome.

For example, maybe the syndrome is caused by a faulty solder joint in the ECU that, in combination with a weak ground, causes the intermittent problem. Fix one OR the other, and you fix the Vanagon syndrome, because it's caused only by the two things working together. This would explain both the intermittent nature of the problem and the multiplicity of solutions that you find browsing the archives here.

I fixed our car--I think--by wiring up a good ground web on the engine/frame/ECU, replacing all vacuum hoses, installing the capacitor in the air mass meter, and seriously cleaning the battery ground. Next step is to reflow all the solder joints in the ECU. After 21 years, you can expect some cracking, and even if you can't see it with the naked eye, it wreaks havoc with the ignition system.

Coming from the world of Saab 9000's, I do know that bad solder joints in relays make your lights, etc. go nuts, and often on an intermittent basis. Ditto for questionable grounds.

Start with the cheap first, anyway.

Good luck.