Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:35:06 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 82 AC Westy running troubles (longish)
Comments: To: jbeaulie@ND.EDU

> It starts hard when cold and runs > rich > until it warms up, then it runs great.

Jake:

What temp do you mean when "cold?" The cold-start valve/thermo-time switch isn't used below 68 F. That is, above 68 F, the thermo-time switch will not let the cold-start valve open.

If it is much colder than 68 F, it is possible that multiple starts are getting the thermo-time switch warm enough that the cold-start injector isn't opened and the van finally starts.

What do you mean by "rich?" That is, how do you know? Tail-pipe test? Or just observing the exhaust? I ask because I have a similar "rich" situation when cold. Leak-down test when cold shows high leakage; it is fine when warm. Probably the heads were not correctly torqued or have become slightly loose. When warm it runs great and easily passes emissions tests. I keep the idle set high because it will die about 1-2 minutes after a cold start--after the sensors say it is warming up but before the leak-down disappears, I think. I do not, however, have any hard-cold-start problems.

This is an '81 non-California with about 15,000 miles on a BB engine (November 2000.)

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado