Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:25:32 +0000
From:         joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Day Trip Report

A little ski trip report:

The wife and I took our two year-old up to Loveland Ski Area from Denver yesterday; it was her first time skiing (she did GREAT!) and my wife wanted to get some snowboard runs in, so we decided to take the Vanagon.

There was no wind and very little traffic on the approach to the mountains from Highway 6/I-70, so I made it up Floyd Hill, which is the first major grade into the mountains, at 55 MPH! This is with an original 1.9 w/170k. I don't know if it was the lack of weight with just my wife and I, our daughter, and ski gear or what, but I've never gotten over that hump that fast.

I did lose momentum a bit, but was able to get over more inclines at 45 MPH, 3rd gear, at around 4100 RPM. For some reason, my Vanagon really wanted to run yesterday.

I was feeling good about my new shocks and springs until we hit the valley at Georgetown, where a wind gust exposed my 14" steel wheels and old BFG Duelers as being useless. I was wallowing all over the place, and was blown onto the shoulder twice. And, the power went away...I could only do 55 going downhill. Weird.

I was actually happy when we hit the bumper-to-bumper traffic that nullifies the climbing advantages of gigantic, powerful SUV's and little fleet Subarus.

In the lot at Loveland, as other skiers cramped into their SUV's with all of their gear in order to eat their sandwiches, or huddled against the wind in lawn chairs under their hatchbacks, we popped the top, had a couple of guests, and had a great lunch at the Weekender table. As usual, I got several compliments on the practicality of having a Vanagon up there.

I hate my loud tires, but was happy to be able to get through the slushly parking lot at the end of the day. I saw an old Bay Window loaded down with snowboarders and gear get stuck in one of the lots. I helped them push. :)

My left head is leaking, which needs to be addressed, but every time I consider upgrading my engine, the darn thing surprises me.

Joe T. '85 Wolfsburg Westy Denver, CO

_________________________________________________________________ Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963