Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:44:31 -0700
From:         Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      84 Westy needs new engine

After 220,000 happy miles our 84 Westy finally succumbed to the dreaded coolant leak. It was on a 5,000 mile trip but thankfully we were just 240 miles from being home when it abruptly went. Once again I turn to those whose advice via the list and archives have served me so well over the years.

Assuming that a rebuilt engine is the thing to drop in I am seeking any comments/experiences from those who have engines from Boston Bob or GoWesty. These seem to be the 2 favored sources by perusing the archives. Lots of good archived comments about Bob's engines, but not much first-hand experience with the GoWesty engines. My questions:

What did you get and how has it worked out?

If you had a problem, what sort of support & resolution did you get?

Any and all advice is welcomed.

I am not really looking for more power -- I actually liked that wimpy 1.9L -- but reliability is vital. Money is not unlimited but I am willing to pay what it takes to enjoy many more years on the road.

If anyone wants to contact me off-list that's great, but please use the above subject line or 'Geo' in the subject line to get past my spam-filter. Thanks for all your help in the past and especially now when I face a big decision that I will live with for years to come.

Geo Tucson, AZ

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.17/228 - Release Date: 1/12/2006