Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:56:39 -0700
From:         Kevin McLean <1mclean@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Baja, short trip report

Just back from Baja and I thought I'd post a quick report. Hopefully pictures and more details will follow later.

Two families (2 Syncro Westys, 4 adults, 2 5-year old kids, 2 7-year olds, and one hound dog) left Calgary on December 1. It was cold and snowy! Great time to leave!

No problems crossing any of the borders or the military checkpoints. Never more than a 10 minute wait, usually less than 5.

Visited the hot springs at Guadalupe Canyon, then explored the rough and washboarded roads south of Mexicali and San Felipe then through Coco's Corner to the main highway.

We headed south to Mulege and ended up camped right on the water at Playa Escondida. The other family headed to La Paz and Cabo to visit other friends before returning to Playa Escondida for Christmas.

Each van managed to get stuck in the sand once. One bruised tire sidewall. Other than that, not one problem with the vans in more that 8,200 km of driving.

Baja is a great place to visit and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Kevin Calgary, AB