Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:44:14 -0500
From:         John Reynolds <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekenders - how many different configurations?

Hi, my name is John and I have Wolfsburg Westfalia "Weekender" (just trying to get some support before go on. Everyone together; "Helllooo Jooohhnn.")

I like the "Basic Camper" (Warning - might not be the "correct" name) that some of the early air-cooled Vanagons had. Sink, ice box, full length rear seat, although it really turned into an "L" shape - no stove or propane tank.

While I presently prefer my interior with the flip -up table and rear facing seat, if there was only one or two of us, I might prefer the basic camper interior or the full Westy (which I had once). I think it also makes a difference on how you camp (keep moving, or in one place for a few days) who you camp with (large group - always sharing cooking - better cooking outside then or solo) and where you camp/live (i.e. inside kitchen better appreciated in rainy Northwest than other areas).

That said, a standard hard top Weekender (note proper use) with the middle seat removed or facing backwards makes a pretty cool camper. Especially if fitted with a full length roof-top carrier and/ or boats on top. Even better with side tent for extended stays.

Personally, I think a sunroof van with removable, homemade, roof-top mounted, pop-up sleeping quarters would also be great for the occasional camper.

That's what makes these vans so unique - there are just so many options.

Happy trails, John