Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:33:52 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: found some  hidden vacuum leaks
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

I've seen the intake manifolds rust through just above those castings that bolt to the head. The vapor recovery system can be a problem. Worse, the carbon canister can have the internal screen rust through allowing some carbon to fall out and clog the vent hose on the bottom. Air can no longer enter the fuel tank as the fuel is used. Can we say intermittent fuel starvation? How about new fuel tank that has the bottom caved in about 3 inches? Got one here now. Compressed air blew the tank almost back in shape. Check that carbon canister!

Dennis

Maybe your WBX just wont idle like it used to? Try checking these areas for vacuum leaks on a nice weekend afternoon.

The intake runners---use a 13mm socket to tighten down on the 2 bolts where the runner attach near the injectors.Each side.One runner on my 1.9 was so loose I could wiggle it.

New injector o-rings. Avaliable at Advance Auto for $5. A total of 4 large and 4 small o-rings. Just remove the single 10mm nut that holds the gang of 2 injectors to the runner.They pull right out then.Cut the large 0-rings off,then slide the new on, and push the new small o-rings on the end of each injector(You may need a small screw driver to pry out the old small o-ring from the irunner , as it is a 50/50 chance as to wheather it will come out with the injector). Stuff the injector ends back in the runner and attach the 10mm bolt.EZ .You will sleep well after this repair.

Breather tower. The 4 nuts(10mm) at the base can come loose and let oil out, and the stiff hose from the breather to the AFM can leak at the breather. A clamp will fix it.

The rubber, power brake vacuum line ,that attaches to the left side of the intake air distributor may be cracked and leaking.It cracks at the bend and can be checked by bending it more to reveal the cracks.This attaches to a hard plastic line about 1 foot from the intake distributor. I used 7/16 inch diameter hose,1 foot long.

The thottle assembly my come loose from where it attaches to the air distributor. Use a large head, phillips screw driver to tighten it up.

The Rubber boot between the AFM and throttle assembly can leak in 2 areas. First , at the 45 degree bend on the bottom where you cant see it. It cracks when it gets old.It may flex when the engine is revved up and let air in. An intermittant type air leak. Black rubber weatherstrip adhesive wil fix this up, and you wont see it , as it is on the bottom, out of sight.Second,the two large hoses that attach to the upper ,front portion of the boot can leak at the joint. I used a tar like gum to press on the entire area all around the attachments.

Got any other favorite vacuum leak areas I missed?

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Photos - Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover Photo Books. You design it and we'll bind it!