Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:23:23 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problems at the Bus Depot-Warning about poor service

In a message dated 1/7/2006 12:57:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, inua@CHARTER.NET writes:

>>Why does this continue to be thrashed out and beaten to death on this list.

When you say "this" do you mean tires, leaking heads, prices of Vanagons, engine swaps, wheel size, brake issues, transmission problems, audio equipment recommendations, trip reports, camping suggestions, seam rust, parts for sale, shocks, batteries, break ins, rebuilds, recommended shops, front end repair, sliding door repair, metal bumpers, fiberglass bumpers, bull bars, floor mats, suspension, interior swaps, CV joints, glass repair, electrical problems, redline, roof racks, oil weight, starter repair, problems with a service garage, bike racks, MPG, storage, leads on busses for sale, side tents, gas heaters, pop top repair, part prices, recommended repair shops, or, I dare say, a problem with the vendor?

Everything is thrashed to death on this list. I thought that's why we were here. Because my friends and family got pretty tired of all the Vanagon talk about 10 years ago. You folks never seem to tire of it. Well, I mean most of you.

From my seat I never understand why a listee who posts a problem with a vendor is often attacked as impatient, crazy, selfish, stupid, boring, new and so on. I find information helpful in my daily life, and especially when it comes to my Vanagon.

I know the problems Bus Depot sometimes has. I don't agree that getting a wrong order is acceptable--especially when it's a pattern. Because I really only have time to do things once. So returns and returns on top of that don't necessarily fit into my schedule. Some people probably have the luxury of more available time than others.

And if I may get political on what may be a much larger scale than we're talking about here with wrong parts being shipped: Forgiveness may be divine, but I don't understand why as Americans we feel the need to dole it out at the expense of accountability.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, new people join the list and new problems come up--even if they are the same new problems. The post that started this thread was about a specific problem with the vendor. And your "guarantee" that Ron would get it right wasn't so much fulfilled because Rico, the original poster, called BD twice and ended up having to go to the dreaded VW Dealer to solve his parts deficit. And that's the one thing we're all trying to avoid.

I only respond to this e-mail in hopes of keeping the lines of communication open about all the topics we hash and rehash. The down side of attacking the messenger is it sometimes impedes others to speak up and there by impedes the flow of information. I like information.

And yes, I agree. Problems happen. And that's why I'm on the list. The generosity of list members sharing their experience with me offers me the luxury of avoiding a potential problem myself, or solving one, only because someone has offered to share their experience.

If there's a problem--one problem--then maybe it's not worth a lot of band width. But if it's recurring, a bit of a pattern, can't we be alerted to that?

If you don't like reading about vendors, my advice would be don't. And if you're comfortable with getting on the phone and returning items and waiting for parts, then do. But don't call for a moratorium on information--even if it's only on a certain topic. It kind of undermines the theory behind a community.

That's my two cents.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA