Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:46:12 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas Tank Restore
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM>

Good photos! I've not looked inside of one, but I am sure that hose has to connect with the outlet. And that's probably why, when you get the tank off, no gas drains from the outlet. I recently dropped the tank on my '88 Westy and the leak was coming from a broken cross-over tube. The tank was in good condition, so I gave it a quick paint job and re-installed it. The condition of the tank will of course depend on where you live, the salt belt or the southwest. I would think you definitely need the screen. You could have a lot of crud in the tank, but with the gas constantly sloshing around, it won't accumulate on the screen, whereas a filter would clog. Just my thoughts. Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Edwards" <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 4:05 PM Subject: Gas Tank Restore

I have to drop the gas tank on my 87 to fix the typical leak when full. Since I'm going to already have it out, I want to clean it up, paint it and put a liner in it so I don't have to worry about it again for a while. A fellow list member suggested the POR-15 sealer kit and the how-to instructions found at http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html However, when a local shop recently went to have it lined, they were told it couldn't be done because of a screen inside the tank. Well I finaly got my hands on a doner to do a little pre-investigation. I was suprised to see the screen was not something at the outlet pipe but rather a round plastic thing in the bottom with a hose running from it. I managed to take some pictures looking in from the sending guage hole and posted them here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=250205 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=250207 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=250208 Now I'm totally confused. The green hose comming off the screen is only about 6" long and doesn't seem to go anywhere. Is this hose supposed to somehow connect to the outlet pipe? Seems like this is the only way to ensure the gas drawn out passed through the screen. Otherwise I don't see a purpose for it? Am I missing the rest of my hose and some sort of connection on the other end? Is this screen really needed? What about just putting in the liner and letting it cover the screen? One option I considered if I don't use the screen is to install an inline filter between the tank and the pump. Another list member noted that pre-pump filters can cause problems if they get clogged such as vapor lock, fuel starvation and all sorts of inconsistent running problems. I guess you could mitigate this by changing the filter often. Any insight appreciated. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I guess one option if the tank itself isn't leaking is to replace the cross-over pipe and seals and leave the actual tank for a later day. I'd much prefer to restore a good used tank if possible than buy a new one. My understanding is the only new ones available are made in China and is prone to rust quickly. Thanks, Mike