Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:54:57 -0500
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Conversion?

Before spending money on another VW engine, I suggest you spend a few hours researching a Subaru solution. If you're going to spend many thousands of dollars, spend a few hours learning first. While it may seem funky putting a Japanese engine into a German vehicle, it makes a lot of sense for a Vanagon.

I don't like to call them Subaru conversions, I prefer to call them "Subaru upgrades" because you end up with a far superior powerplant.

After working on dozens of VW engines then doing 2 Subaru upgardes myself, I've come to the conclusion that VW engineers may have spent less than 30 days designing the VW WBX......and they were smoking something other than cigarettes while doing it.

This is a good place to start, a technical overview of the Subaru 2.2 engine http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/SAE_boxer.pdf