Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:21:38 -0500
From:         Andrew Silliker <silliker@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anchorage Trip

You can, though, pitch a tent on the deck. Take some duct tape to fix it to the deck. It was a great way to spend a couple of days.

-a

On 1/17/06, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > > Bob, > > A couple of more things - > > You can't sleep down in the hold of the ferry vessel during transit. It > is not permitted. But who would want to. There is to much to see and do > and experience topside. > > And ..... > > If your schedule permits - once you have gotten to Anchorage and visited > a bit .... catch the ferry once again and go to "The Island Terrific in > the North Pacific!" -- Kodiak Island. Usually it's the Matanuska that > goes from Seward (where you would board) to the port in the town of > Kodiak on Kodiak Island. The town and the island will blow you away. And > be sure you take some fishing gear. You can catch salmon and sea run > dolly varden all over the place. > > Good luck on your journey. Enjoy! > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > > Bob Stevens wrote: > > >Thought I'd post this response from my niece's husband, about a pending > trip > >I'm planning on to Anchorage from Salt Lake. He did this trip about 2 > months > >ago. > >Bob Stevens > >'87 Westy Syncro > >"Passion Fruit" > > > >First off, let me say that it is a positively > >wonderful way to travel. You will be following almost > >the exact route that the cruise ships follow. Granted > >the amenities aren't quite as nice, but... The > >people are always wonderful. You will meet several > >like-minded people who are equally excited about the > >adventure that they are on and who are equally > >awe-struck by the experience. There are 3 passages > >that go through open water, but other than that the > >'inside passage' is just that - a protected waterway > >that is frequently so smooth that you can see your > >reflection on it. > > > >843 dollars sounds like a winter rate that would > >include one car and one passenger. In the summer > >expect to spend another 150 - 250 dollars for the > >passenger (you). That is not including a room. The > >temperature - even in the winter are not normally > >below 30 degrees. Where I am going with this is that > >I normally camp on the back of the ferry, in my tent > >or stake out one of the patio chairs and set up my > >sleeping bag on it. Caution - secure tent very very > >well - it gets windy. Get on the ferry at the > >absolute soonest possible time, or all of the tent > >spots and patio chairs will be gone. You can also > >sleep inside the cabin on the floor, on one of the > >smallish couches, or in a recliner. again, first come > >first serve. Or, book a room, but they are a little > >expensive. > > > >I recommend getting an open ended ticket or creating > >one. Make stops of one or two days each in the > >following towns: Ketchikan (1 day), Sitka (a must - > >great fishing whale watching etc) 2 days, Juneau 2 > >days, Skagway 1 or 2 days, then drive North from > >Skagway. i know that you can drive North from Haines > >and save about 60 miles but Skagway is a town not to > >miss, and that portion of the drive is absolutely > >beautiful. Do yourself a favor and make those stops > >as a minimum. If you like Sea kayaking, camping, etc > >then spend longer at Sitka and consider adding > >Wrangell and Petersberg to your list. Make sure you > >take a flight on a float plane (beaver or otter) at > >least once on your trip up - I would recommend > >Ketchikan for that. From Skagway plan on a 2 day trip > >to Anchorage, unless you drive in to Valdez and spend > >a couple of days. If you take the Valdez option you > >can then take a short ferry ride to Whittier and drive > >1 hour to anchorage. > > > >Oh yeah - the short of it is that the ferry ride is a > >'must.' Ferry up, then drive back. It is well worth > >it. > > > > > > > > >