Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:42:05 -0800
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      got to get ready for emission testing

Funny,this is the first time for me in a vanagon.Got my first tags and no notice for a emission test 3 years ago. I have since purchaced tags again, for 2 more years,Now, out of the blue, I get the notice to come on in.One time I went, the printout said 0 percent CO,and I passed. I protested the zero percent as an inaccurate test and said"your test says I can stick my nose to the tail pipe and breath without any concequnces". The tester actually admitted an inacurate test.However, his confidence remained.He gave me a new test, and it showed CO to the point where I needed a new catalytic converter. I protested again saying this test was inacurate too.I mean how can you go from zero to mucho in 15 minutes and say each,or either is correct?Got lots of red tape after this,and the origional zero CO test disappeared.What a scam these tests are.

Well, I saw a post here a few months ago about emission testing. I think it had some clever techniques to evade getting pinched again.What are the chances of a well tuned 1.9 with 189K passing? Slim to none, I,d say.The WBX has few emission controls on it.The catalytic convertor,charcoal canister, and fuel injection system, is about it.Since the 70's,other cars have had catalytic converter,pvc,air injection,egr,detuneing,charcoal canister,and more.How can this 1.9 ever pass?The state of Maryland provides for vehicles that fail by issuing a waver. Costs $425 last time I checked 5 years ago.Of this amount, I can do it myself and buy $350 in parts and qualify.Saving $75 in labor. If my vehilce fails, what parts are most helpful as far as getting something out of them besides just cleaning the air? AFM? Secondary ignition parts? A new catalytic converter? I think this will make $375. Anything other I should buy that will qualify that will give me a better return?

I think I will do these preperations : First, I bought a qt. of acetone. I'll put about 5 ounces in every tank ful for a few months ,as I hear it will clean out any carbon and give a smooth idle.I'll time it correctly.fuel injector cleaner a week before testing(same as acetone?).Cant think of any other preps.What did you do to evade the Fed?s.

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.