Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:04:55 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tie Rod Replacement

You're basically right about everything. You can get the bearings from several list vendors.

And you're right that you can measure your setup and replicate it, but you must be comparing apples to apples in your measurements. For instance, not all "knuckle" ends are going to be cast or swaged with the same diameter, so use the center of the end as a place to start your measurements. From there, measure to the first thread on your tie rod, or better yet a file mark you put on there, because the thread is going to measure differently from the center of the eye or knuckle as they call it depending on how the shaft the thread is on is rotated. Write down your measurements, and don't try to measure to the last thread visible under the screw-on part of the steering because all castings may not be the same length. Do it as outlined above.

There is a flat spot on the steering link so you can get a wrench on it.

You can use a pickle fork style bearing puller and a sledge hammer even without the pickle fork, but for less than $25 you can get a puller from your local auto parts store that will do the job right and without risk and you will have it for the rest of your life.

Jim