Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:06:48 +0000
From:         Robert Rountree <syncro87@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy shower solution

I have used the "solar shower"(USA) , "sun shower"(CDN) and made under other names in Asia .... basically it's a 10-15mil thick black plastic bag with a hook on one end and a shut off valve, showerhead screw on hose coming off the other.. Just like a collapsible water jug but black and with a shut-off showerhead hose. Fill the bag full of water, put it in the roof/luggage area, on some dark padding, so the sun hits it. After a hard day, hang the hose over the side and shower, or hoist it up over a limb. Some places where I'm staying, I just set it out on the rocks, (dark ones work better) and on cooler rainy, no sun days, and even cold fall/spring days. I heat some water and pour it in with a half tepid load... I've used them sailing, fishing... all kinds of remote spots... there is one now rolled up nice and small and light, under my back seat... water is everywhere, why carry extra weight?... ya have 2 propane burners, why carry another?... it can also be used to haul water, that you add to your tank, or use for cleaning... once they get some holes in them, after lots of use. The hose can be reused... it fits almost all collapsible water carriers, they just aren't black, but I guess in a pinch, you could put them in a black plastic bag.... Basic survival gear... sure has been nice having a shower, when ya really need one... But ya have to treat them carefully... IE put them in a protective storage bag, or they'll get lots of leaking pin holes. But they are cheap to replace.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:17:44 -0500 From: Michael Edwards <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM> Subject: Westy shower solution