Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:19:12 -0500
From:         Rich Jones <rich.jones@COGECO.CA>
Subject:      Source for black window seals w/o moulding groove

Hello All,

I've been lurking on the list for the past year or so and finally have a question that isn't answered in the archives.

First a little background: I have a 1989 Westfalia that I bought in 1995 from the original owner, who decided to sell it and buy a Eurovan. He had never driven his Vanagon in the winter--a good thing here in southern Ontario, given the amount of salt on the roads--and I've kept up the tradition. The Westie has served me well, having been to among other places, Vancouver island and back in 1996, and Santa Monica and back in 2004.

Last year I completed a mechanical overhaul, including a factory rebuilt 2.1 WBX. This year it's time for a cosmetic one. With new paint (scheduled as soon as the snow melts) I've decided to ditch the window seals with moulding grooves and their yellowing plastic "chrome" inserts and have bought all new seals without moulding grooves from GoWesty. The problem is that the rear side window seals are grey, while the rest of them are black. See the photo here: http://home.cogeco.ca/~thejoneses/

I called GoWesty and they said that the grey ones are the only ones they can get, though they did offer a refund if I decide to return them. Then I called OEVeedub and ordered another set of rear side seals, since they assured me that theirs were black, not grey. I guess this is all subjective though, since theirs were just as grey as the ones from GoWesty. So now I have two sets of grey seals (four in all).

So I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find black ones. Really black ones. I might even consider used ones if there are in nearly new condition.

Rich