Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:36:22 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: fender parts

I seem to recall causing confusion last time I posted about this!

First, is there a difference between bumpers and fenders? Or is that just choice of words?

I'm talking about the big black thing is that goes on the front of the van and the back of the van, so when you nudge the car in front of or in back of you while parking you don't scratch it, or scratch your van. Bumpers or fenders? Whichever, that's what I'm talking about.

On my van (and, I assume, on all vanagons, or at least all '89s), the one in the rear has three parts. The major part goes from right to left (or left to right, as you like) across the back of the van. Below the license plate. Then two other parts at the right and left ends wrap around the sides of the van and run for around 16 inches along the sides heading towards the rear wheel wells. That's what I'm calling a "fender end." Does it have some other name?

It is attached to the larger rear part of the bumper/fender, and it is attached to the body of the van with a bracket. The bracket is around 3 inches long, runs from the bottom of the body to the bottom of the "fender end." If you lie on your back under the van, you see it.

So the bracket on mine is twisted and rusty. And I'm looking for a new one. And the "fender end" is kind of mangled on the bottom. So I could use a new one of those. Though a new bracket might suffice, I'm not sure a bit of mangled fiberglass matters much.

How come no on else seems to know what I'm talking about? Is Matilda unlike any other '89 vanagon or something? Doesn't seem likely to me!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of JordanVw@AOL.COM :::Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:36 AM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: fender parts and body shops in Dallas/Ft Worth area ::: :::In a message dated 1/20/06 12:42:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, :::jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU writes: ::: ::: :::> First, does any of you parts type have a right rear fender end for an :::'89 :::> vanagon, and the bracket that holds it on? Mine are mangled and :::totally :::> rusty, respectively, could use replacements. :::> :::> ::: ::: :::what is a "right rear fender end for a vanagon and the bracket that holds :::it :::on"????? ::: :::never heard of that. :<) ::: :::chris