Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:47:36 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New owner with question
Comments: To: inua@CHARTER.NET

I recently heard of two different leased cars which NEVER had the oil changed in the course of the three year or maybe two year lease. One was a Toyota which an acquaintance bought at auction and immediately had to put in a rebuilt engine. The other was a person who was returning their leased vehicle and said, "I never change the oil. Why should I pay to change the oil. I'm giving the car back and it won't be my problem." yikes!

Now will an engine actually run say 30 or 40 thousand miles on the same oil, and were these people telling true stories? I dunno. My guess is at a minimum you'll have to add oil every now and again. But it lends itself to explaining how some people interpret taking care of a vehicle and why a vehicle might burn through engines.

Anyway, back to the point at hand. It's been mentioned before, but I think it deserves mention in this thread. For the most part the maximum speed limit in the US was 55 MPH when our Vanagons were delivered. And as a result they may have been designed at best to travel pretty well at 55. I would almost say they weren't expected to travel at 70 or 75 MPH.

But that ignores the speed limit in Europe and elsewhere the Vanagons were available at the time they were available. I don't know how Vanagons are driven in other lands. I believe the 55MPH federally mandated speed limit here in the US was repealed in 1995(?) Did it start in '82 or before that? I'm not sure. But it pretty much covers the run of the Vanagon, give or take the first two years.

The point is remembering the speed limit of the day might help swallow the pill of NOT being able to cruise at 80 MPH. And to answer the question at hand my bus is comfortable at 60 MPH. Sometimes I'll cruise at 65. 70 feels like she's working a little too hard. This is all with a stock 1.9L which is also a VW of Canada rebuild put in at 100K when I bought it. How it was driven before I'm not sure, but it is wired for trailer lights. yikes!

And of course the best traveling advice for longevity of the vehicle is keeping a good distance from the vehicle in front of you. Most times that's pretty easy for me in the Bus... until that Subaru ship comes in. And the horizon is looking pretty vacant.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA