Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:00:16 -0500
From:         John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rattle in catalytic converter? 88 Vanagon

Last year, my westy got rear ended - yup. I was lucky, I wasn't hit hard, just cracked the bumper and bent up some sheet metal; it was driveable. The impact got as far in as denting the outer cover on the muffler.

After it was repaired, I noticed that I have a rattle in the back end for a while after starting from cold that sounds like sheetmetal or tin. It goes away after a while, so I haven't bothered to fix. Well yesterday, I had some time and the weather was nice so I cranked it up and snooped around the back end to find the rattle... The only thing that I found was that when lying on the ground under the muffler area, if I pressed up on the bottom of the catalytic convert can with a heavy screwdriver the rattle went away. My pressure was not deforming the shape of the canister, but it was reducing the jitter of the exhaust system just enough to stop the rattle.

I couldn't see any other loose connections, so I'm wondering if catalytic converters, when they take a whack can develop a rattle until they get warmed up?? Is this possibly my rattle?

It doesn't look too difficult to replace - cut the bolts. Do new ones come with the gaskets?

John Graham 88 Westy - Charlotte, NC