Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:12:20 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update (not fixed...) Re: FIXED? (and,
              advice needed...) (was: Re: low voltage,
              starter running intermittently, but alternator is okay?)

wes:

the alternator has nothing to do with starting other than keeping the battery charged. if the battery is indeed ok, and well charged, then the alternator, associated wiring, and precise charging voltage, are all irrelevant to this problem.

note: if the volatge across the battery is 13 V at idle with lights on, it will be well above 13 V at cruising rpm, which is more than high enough to charge battery. to check true charging voltage, measure voltage across battery posts with engine running; if there is a contact resistance between cable clamp and battery post, a measurement touching probes to clamps instead of posts will yield a false, and higher (i.e., optimistic) reading.

dan