Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:57:56 -0800
From:         Mike Frost <mafrost@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: recap (still not fixed) Re: Update (not fixed...) Re: FIXED?
              (and, advice needed...) (was: Re: low voltage,
              starter running intermittently, but alternator is okay?)

On my '86, the big positive wire on the alternator goes to a black plastic junction box mounted on the firewall just above the thermostat housing. Inside the junction box, the wire is bolted to a stud which is the main connection point between the battery and the alternator/starter motor. I found this point to be corroded and the resistance was causing the connection to heat up. This is the most likely spot to cause a big drop in current/voltage going to the engine from the battery. The fact that you only have problems when starting makes it seem likely that the battery does not have a clean path to (or thru) the engine compartment. Once the engine is running, all the current is supplied by the alternator.

On 1/27/06, Wesley Pegden <wes@cs.uchicago.edu> wrote: > > Today I tried a new ignition switch and changed out the transmission > ground strap. Neither fixed the problem. I don't have any ideas past > the starter at this point. I also tried jumping the battery, as some > have suggested my problem might still be a bad battery. No dice. > > > -Wes > > Roger Sisler wrote: > > ground straps, ignition switch plug,then take your new starter to an > > advance auto parts store and have them test it for free. > > > > >