Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:00:30 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: stripped oil drain plug
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>

The only purpose for a 12 point socket is you can turn it less to get it to line up with the nut/bolt. Sometimes good when working where there is limited access. Other than that ... keep them in a separate container so they don't usually get used.

Mike

Al and Sue Brase wrote: > I've always been a bit puzzled as to why they even sell many 12 point > sockets. Yes, they fit square bolts & nuts. Did you ever encounter one? > Me neither. They are just troublemakers, if you ask me. > Al Brase > > mark drillock wrote: > >> Heli coils are great but by his description it sounds like what he did >> was round off the drain plug rather than strip the threads. I would get >> a 6 point 1/2" socket and hammer it onto the plug very hard. Then it may >> well come right out. The 1/2" is slightly smaller than 13mm and the 6 >> point socket will bite into it much better than a 12 point. If he had >> used a 6 point 13mm in the first place the rounding of the head would >> likely never have happened. >> >> Mark >> >> Jake Beaulieu wrote: >> >>> Hey cr, >>> >>> I am in the process of having a heli coil installed in my cylinder >>> head to take >>> care of stripped spark plug threads. I have searched the archives >>> for info >>> about heli coils and came across a ton of messages about stripped oil >>> drain >>> plugs. I didn't read many of these so I can't tell you what they >>> said, but >>> check out the archives. Lots of info on this subject in there. >>> >>> good luck, >>> Jake >>> 82 air cooled westy >>> >>> >>> >>>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Chris Renz wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> well, I finally did it. I wrenched it too tight recently I guess >>>>> and have >>>>> seemingly stripped into a perfect circle. >>>>> >>>>> any tips on getting this sucker out so I can replace it without >>>>> damaging >>>>> >>>>> >>>> the >>>> >>>> >>>>> case? >>>>> >>>>> Thanks! >>>>> >>>>> cr >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >