Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:24:16 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold starting problem

Seems that you are not getting spark for ignition, but gas is being delivered to the cylinder.A bad hall sender or hall generator are my guesses,but a wire rubbed raw seems most likely. Hot or cold this, problem remains? Many times the heat after warm up will reveal a fault in an ignition component.Problems,then appear. Heat may cause expansion in a component,and then the short circut may reveal itself.This dosent seem the method of the current madness though. A bad coil comes to mind here.First, I would clean all the electrical connections I could find.Check all the wires from the distributor connection,back to the hall sender , and to the coil.Could be an issue inside the distributor too. I am also guessing that the ecu thinks all is well and is delivering the gas signal as promised.This signal gets Shanghide(sp) somewhere between the ecu and the spark plug.I dont know 2.1 engine components,so, as usual , you are getting what you pay for here.If you have extra parts, swap em out.A trip to a junkyard can get you a distributor and all these components mentioned above,for far less that a repair shop will charge just for a reasonable diagnosis.You will then have the parts for a friend or for when your vanaogn has its next episode.Shouldnt take long for this to happen.Wots of Wuck.