Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:31:18 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic Oil Conversion, What is the best Easy Access Brand,
              and Viscosity?
Comments: To: robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

Mobil 1, 15w-50 is the choice for most of the year. 7,500 mile change intervals are more than sufficient as confirmed by oil analysis. If temperatures are to be near 10 or lower, the European formula 0w-40 works well or now there is the extreme formula available in 10w-40. The 5w-40 is only available as the Delvac or SUV formulae. Although the synthetic has the gasoline engine ratings, these oils are designed for Diesels. As such they have additives the gas engine does not need and the catalytic converter does not like. There is no need to do any special engine flushes as the synthetics are compatible with conventional oils.

Dennis

I know you have heard this before, but I have to ask. I reviewed the archives and could not find a straight answer.

I have an 88 Vanagon Wolfsburg. It has 211,000 miles on it with a rebuilt engine and transmission roughly 35,000 miles ago.

The past owner was running 5W/40 oil in Buffalo NY, I believe he said it was Mobil 1, not sure.

The van is now in Long Beach, NY which is considerably warmer, the coldest itıs been has been around 18 degrees.

I am wondering a couple of things...

1. What is the Best easily available synthetic oils, Mobil 1? i.e. Easy access across the country or long drives... 2. What is the suggested viscosity for winter, and hot summer?

I have read in the archives several suggested oil weights: 5W/40 5W50 synthetic Mobil1 15-50

So please help with some guidance.

Thanks,

-- Rob NYC/Long Beach, NY 88 Wolfsburg, Silver