Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:24:36 -0800
From:         Ryan Alfonso <vangina@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Urgent request for Grey Westy interior bits...

Trust is a delicate thing. Takes a long time to build, and a moment to squander.

At this point. The dog I've called my own is free to roam the streets in search for a new home. Ya see, what really is your greatest love? Your mutt or your Westfalia van?

In my case, the answer is clear. We adopted an 8 year old dog, with a LONG criminal past, in the hopes the we could reform her with love and affection. In fact, you can't change a leopard's spots.

Which leads me to the following urgent, I repeat URGENT request.

The "bitch" (and I use that term appropriately) utterly demolished the van. Here's a list of what fell victim to her derision:

Rear Seat (upper and lower halves) Sliding door panel (grey with velour section and chrome strip) The rear moulding at the sliding door (has a flap that covers the latch mechanism The armrest associated with the rear seat. The cushion that rests atop the motor to form the aft half of the fold down bed The turn signal indicator (I happend to have one of those already) and worst of all, The drivers side seat (left the armrests alone praise the almighty.

She also decided to eat some of the westy supplied furniture at the right edge of the "sink unit". I think I can fix that with some polyester putty (aka, bondo) and the appropriate paint.

To say the dog had a near death experience today is putting it mildly.

For you dog lovers out there who think I was treating her unkindly, please not that she was in her crate for what must have been less than 20 minutes. She pulled the crate door INSIDE the cage to escape (strong little monkey eh?). It was a rainy day, no heat in the van, she was just pissed to be there. I came back after about 45 minutes to find this..

Sometimes she's good, sometimes she's bad. I just can't take the 'bad" anymore.

So let that be a lesson for us all. From a japanese proverb, "that which is free, is most expensive"

So I emplore you all. Where can I find replacement parts for this sorta thing? Many kind folks have suggested I should sieze the opportunity and upgrade everything in the process -- new upholstery. Nice idea, but I'm a dumpster hound. Anything that can be turned up that fits, will work.

As you can read below, I've spent a lot of time and energy getting the van mechanically in pretty good shape. Now the inside looks like a typical Deadhead ride. Nothing against 'em, but I want my ride to be cherry.

GIve a brother a break. Can anyone help with sourceing all this crap?

Ryan in Half Moon Bay, CA Pics can be provided if it helps my case!

-- '89 Westfalia (187k) with 2.0L 8v inline-4 TiiCo (60k), Windage tray, A2 rail with A3 injectors, Soon to have A3 brackets and engine accessories, 80*C t-stat, Heated TB, Neuspeed ignition wires, LUK HD clutch, Weddle 5spd with Redline MT-90, RSA vented discs, Syncro.com 2wd Springs and leveling shims, Bilsteins, Rhein wheels/ Agilis 51 tires, F/R Addco sway bars, Limo tint, Wheelskin, A&E Catalina 2500 awning, P'zwo fogs, Euro H4 headlamps (80/100W, 100W highs, + relays, 5W city), VDO voltage oil press & temp gauges (white), Blue fridge LED, Hella twin supertone horns, 7k tach, White gauge faces, Momo shift knob, Cupholders, VW logo rear mudflaps, Blue hibiscus seat covers, Passenger and slider domelights, Trippple Yakimas on top, ... & Fuzzy dice. -- and formally stock upholstery