Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:23:47 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Timing the 2.1L Vanagon Engine

Volks,

Disclaimer: Please don't ever mistake me for a gear head or backyard mechanic who knows anything meaningful about these beasts.

But even I occasionally stumble upon something that I can do.

This past weekend I spent time with a Canadian Syncro owner "Allone" who has landed in Tucson for a while.

Some of you might remember posts other lists members made a few weeks ago when Allone blew his engine up while traveling thru Maryland or some neighboring state.

Several folks were involved in trying to find a him a used engine.

He ended up buying a used engine and having it installed at a some parts place/shop as I recall.

Anyway ... Since the install Allone has complained of very low power and terrible gas mileage ... ~10 MPG.

I few days ago he asked me to send out a "inquiry" email to check on availability of another used engine. Thinking maybe, he bought a very tired engine and needed to replace it.

I sent the email but asked him to hold off on a decision until we could check some basic's.

O2 sensor, Temp Sensor, Compression, Timing etc.

Yesterday we were finally able to meet and do just that.

Results: O2 sensor - good Temp Sensor - good Compression 150, 145, 140, 145 (damn I wish mine was that good) Timing .... Was retarded almost at 0.

We reset the timing to 6 Degrees BTDC (spec is 5 +/- 2 degrees)

Everything else looked good. Even under the undside of the engne was dry and free of leaks ... Again wishing mine looked as good.

Road tested ... Results ... Night and day, all now seems fine.

The problems seem to have been as simple as the timing being incorrectly set. larry chase www.roadhaus.com