Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:51:30 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: stripped oil drain plug
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Dennis, Mike and Chris "Alias Jordon", In the B5 platform they install a plastic piece on the dipstick so they can suck it out more easily. Mike, any chunks get caught in the filter. Perhaps it is because I live in the city now but pumping the oil into the milk jug and putting it out to be recyled works well for me. If I were to suggest how to fix a stripped oil plug I would say jb4 the darn thing shut and pump the oil out the dipstick. When you do it this way you never worry about how much to tighten the oil plug. Too loose and the thing falls out, too tight and you strip it and too many time and you strip it. Sooner or later if you change your oil too many times the old way your dad did it and you will strip the old plug or the old plug hole. My Westy has 190k and that plug has seen its last new BD copper washer and I still have three new ones in the shop. And that DVD recorder sure works a lot better than any VCR. Old ideas are good until better ideas come along, gary