Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:08:23 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Just replaced the throttle switch and am having drivability
              issues

Vanagon fixed! I think. No fried wiring and no fried switches.However, the connectors for the auxillery air regualator and throttle switch were mixed up.The throttle switch was getting zero volts with the key in the run position.Should have been getting 5 volts.12V when the vehicle was actually running is what was happening,but I didnt check voltage then.What I did was change the ECU like Bentley says.Fried switch and no suspects unless the voltage was measured with the vehicle running. 5 volts were going to the auxilery air regulator when it should have had the 12V.

I was working in that area of the engine recently doing a psudo head gasket repair,but I do remember reconnecting the connectors in the proper locations.I mean the 1.9 has the connector going to the throttle switch at the intake runner.The connector bolts to the runner. The wiring is just long enough to reach the correct spot.Also, after 21 years, the wires get "set" at a certin shape and remember that shape when disconnected.Just enough wire to do the job, and no more(at least in my WBX).

What I found was lots of extra wire in the connector going to the throttle switch,and the connectors mixed up.Well I'll be. I think VW must have had some concern about this and made the wires the length that they did,but it didnt keep the reverse from happening like it did here.

None of the wiring was fryed and the switches were all still ok.Even after I had run this new set up today, long enough to fry things good. I tested the wiring and switches for continuity seperately, and all hooked up together, from the ECU.I tested from the ECU to the throttle switches for voltage,and for voltage in the wires when disconnected from the switches.Clicked and unclicked.Unclicked and clicked.

About 5 V at the throttle switch now,and 12 v at the auxillery air regulator.Yaaaaa!But things didnt go all that smoothly.When I finally test drove a few minutes ago, I still had some kind of problem.I ran the engine and was not getting continuity at the switch.I drove around an figured that I did destroy another wire or switch afterall . The van surged and ran poorly.Identical polarity from switch to switch seems to be importiant in the early WBX throttle switch set up. I switched the connectors on one throttle switch and everything seems ok now.This,after lots of testing again.

Just test drove it yet again and I am having some surging idle,but this may be timing issues as I had shifted it around by ear when I suspected that this may be contributing to the problem.The poor drivability is corrected and I can pull from very low rpms(1000)and still not get bucking.I guess I will watch this for a few days and decide where to tweek things.

The throttle switch in the early WBX is in a bigger box than the switch in the later vanagons.Same with other VW autos. Maybe they are more substantial inside and hold up a bit better to this kind of botching.

Another day another problem,it seems.Gets old sometimes.Thanks for all the suggestions and wisdom. Hope other 1.9 owners can avoid this mess I just saw.