Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:47:23 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: V8 T2
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

>What do you call it? ----- Dijon??

I didn't have a name for it, or any of my other VWs. The only vehicle I've ever named was the roughest running motorcycle you've ever seen, named after a lifeform, which I called The Brachiopod ("The Brach" for short)..

>Man!! Talk about yellow.....!

It's a horrid Aussie-market light-yellow-olive. Here we'd call it the local slang name "Karitane Green" (ka-ri-tah'-nee) for baby shit color. Actually it's not so bad seen in the metal.

>What do you think that type engine would do in a Vanagon?? Nightmare >installation? Easy fit. Good performance? Curious. I'm considering >an engine transplant.

Performance should have been better than a 174hp 1990 3.8 GM V6, as the 4V puts out more power (180+) in carburetted form; the injected 4V would put out more again, but I don't know the figure. They are damn good engines, and "light" enough for one person to grunt one around on the floor. However availability has dropped off as these engines went out of production in the late 80s, I think... and probably every one in Japan has been recycled by now. They were brought in here (mainly bought by jetsprint racers) used from Japan in some numbers, and sold for up to $700US at the time, in the late-80s.

Despite being pushrod, they have a true hemi head (Chrysler should take one apart to find out what "hemi" means.

As the advance-retard on mine could not be made to work (cowboy installation job), the top-end was crap, as the timing was static! But if it had gone well it would have been fast; my 84 Caravelle with a 174hp 3.8 V6 was fierce in 2nd & 3rd, and the much-taller-than-stock 4th & 5th still had very good acceleration... I only took it up to an indicated 180kmh (112mph) a few times, but it was still accelerating pretty well at that speed, so that should give an idea of performance... the 4v should have been better.

The stock valvecovers are plain aluminum, and I painted mine with wrinkle-finish.

The installation was a nightmare, but only thanks to the shitheads I had it done by... you live & learn (just lookit the old Valiant radiator and pipes). The engine is very compact and fit in there nicely (had to have a flywheel & adaptor-plate made). The stock VW starter handled it fine but the 2300lb KEP clutch wasn't up to the job (same type wasn't up to the Caravelle's V6 either), with massive slip available any time in 1st.

In a Vanagon it would work nicely, and the big engine hatch should accommodate the full length & width of the engine. The lid however would have to have a wall installed (like my V6's) to raise it for clearance.

I Googled <"toyota 4v" v8> and found some entries. Have a look at: http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=e03633c98233b7011af51f08ea9a9d27&topic=877.0;prev_next=prev

But AVOID like the plague having anything to do with Peter Steel... he was coworker with the cowboy (Wille Gardiner, they ran the ripoff business Boats & Buggies) who did the "work" and ruined my van!!

The 5V mentioned is the 4.0-liter version of the 3.4-liter 4V.

It may still be possible to source an engine through a parts exporter or wrecker in Japan (try the "Japan Yellow Pages", an annual book in English listing secondhand car & parts exporters... you7 may be able to find it with Google.

>Thanks for the pics.

Wilkomm! -- Regards Andrew