Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:59:10 -0800
From:         Stephen DeMocko <SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM>
Subject:      Re: AUTO TRANS

Volks, I hope my original post didn't start anything negative. I did want to write and say that all seems well in my final drive. There was no hint of auto fluid in the gear oil, so I gust buttoned her back up. While under the van, I noticed a leak, from my formally believed to be, leak free van. It looks like the loss of auto fluid was coming from the lower bolt on pan. I thought a few months ago when replacing the auto filter that four bolts didn't seem to be enough for a good distributed load on that pan seal. I had been disappointed to think those back to back seals between the auto and diff were leaking as I replaced those not to long ago. I would also say that pulling the auto to replace those seal is not that difficult a job. It does help to have some one else there to lower and then again raise the auto back into position. I know others say it is not that costly or difficult to have the auto completely gone through or to have someone do it for you, but for the cost of the seals and the time of only an afternoon replacement time, I am under the opinion that I would reinstall the ok running high mileage auto back in, and leave major service for another time. Good luck to the others that wrote in saying they believe their vans might be suffering from faulty seals. Stephen DeMocko ('85 Westy Luci) -----Original Message----- From: Blake Heinlein [mailto:blakeheinlein@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:59 AM To: Stephen DeMocko; Vanagon List Subject: Re: AUTO TRANS Stephen,

1.) I don't know the exact quantity but it's slightly less than 2 quarts for the final drive gear box.

2.) Take a look at the pictures I took while resealing my trans. http://www.home.surewest.net/heinlein/trans.htm

3.) Final drive gear oil is usually yellow/gold, more brown if really old. Transmission fluid is usually red. If you open your final drive and you have redish oil coming out and you might have a leak from your transmission into the final drive. With your van level and multiple checks over time if you see that the final drive oil level is increasing and your not adding oil and your transmission is loosing oil then most likely you have a leak between the two.

Be careful torquing the final drive plate, it's an easy place to have oil leaks if it's over torqued. You'll most likely want to replace the gasket when you put the cover back on, about $25.

Hope this helps.

-- Blake Heinlein 1984 Westfalia Sacramento, CA blakeheinlein@gmail.com <mailto:blakeheinlein@gmail.com> http://www.home.surewest.net/heinlein On 2/2/06, Stephen DeMocko < SDeMocko@fdsmfg.com <mailto:SDeMocko@fdsmfg.com> > wrote: Volks,

I wondered if any of you out there know this info off the top of your heads. One, what is the quantity of gear oil held in an '85 automatic final drive? Two, are those back to back seals in the final drive the only place automatic fluid could be going in a vehicle that doesn't leak a drop. Three, when I drain the gear oil from the final drive this weekend will I be able to visually tell I have auto fluid in it? Or will

there only be the additional volume based on the fluid level at the lower edge of the fill plug? I replaced those seals about 6 mo. ago. I have fluid loss at the rate of reduction from the high mark to the low mark on the dip stick about every two to three weeks. Thanks in advance to those who spend time considering my questions.

Stephen DeMocko ('85 Westy Luci)