Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:16:19 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: running hot....any ideas? UPDATE
Comments: cc: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Cris, It is easy to check the thermostat. Pull and put it into boiling water and it should open. Make sure that it is not in backwards??? Not even sure you can do that? What was the year again? I take it that the fan never kicks on as well since it appears that you are not getting coolant up to the front. The thing about the heater is it bypasses the thermostat I think. On a cool day I can drop my temperature from normal operating temperature with both heaters or by coasting down a big long hill. Keep in mind that the waterpump is a bit lazy at idle so what is important is what does when the motor is at a higher rpm and on a hill or load. My gauge moves all over the map with the fan kicking on after about 20 minutes at idle. The other thing I noticed is that the viscosity of the coolant makes more of a drag on the circulation than water so 50:50 on the antifreeze . If you are in a warm place I would consider more water if you have a problem with the 50:50. Do you still have your old radiator?

gary Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:09:41 EST From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: Re: running hot....any ideas? UPDATE

ok, well i swapped my whole instrument cluster. and the needle still reads over the red dot. sooo...its not the gauge in the dash.

i started the van, let idle for like 15 mins.. main coolant tank and lines out of tank were hot. but hoses at front "firewall" were not hot. hoses coming out of bottom of rad were not hot.

heater blows hot air. running the heater didnt seem to have any effect on the temperature gauge..

my guess is thermostat...?

chris