Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:48:33 -0800
From:         Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Death Valley Preparations

In order to guarantee safe passage one must pay homage and make a few sacrifices.

To appease the desert spirits, (it's DEATH valley, after all) take a battered tea kettle or tea pot (metal is preferred) and make an offering at teakettle junction of this pot. Teakettle Junction is in itself a rather special place. You can find it by inquiring at the visitor center as a last resort.

If you visit Furnace creek ranch, have the ceremonial date shake at the lunch counter. Location is very important, a booth will not have the same beneficial effect. Sip or slurp reverently. Do not anger the spirits by using a straw.

Then walk the date grove, behind the post office. Close your eyes for a moment and envision a better time when the dates were plentiful and the water flowed down the hill to sustain the majesty (before the time of the wicked Xanterra).

Should you have the time, thank the Park Superintendant, J.T. Reynolds, for his fine work in spite of massive gutbacks in (no, that's not a misprint) park funding. Say hi to Charlie Callaghan the resident poppywatcher and join the DV natural history group.

Then buy a yearly parks pass at the counter and a Golden eagle amendment. Or if you qualify a "golden" age pass.

At this point you may be smiled upon by the spirits of the park and you may be blessed with little wind and good light, and safe passage on your journey.

Reverence and respect is always appreciated by those who have gone before, and is a lesson for those who will come later.

If you travel out SR190 through Panamint valley, stop for refreshment at at Panamint Springs resort. The local cat, a beautiful silky black named Bad Luck, will accept a small stroke and withold his namesake from your travels for a while.

Cottonwood canyon, west side road, flowers along the badwater road between mp 47 and mp 27, wildrose canyon, all rich with pixellating opportunities.

For more trying road conditions, I might suggest the BFG AT-KO tire in your size. Relatively quiet, long wearing, excellent rock protection. Modestly priced.

A GPS is often handy to get a good estimate of travel time. DVNP is vast. Distances and travel time are deceiving.

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:25:02 -0700 From: bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET> Subject: Death Valley Camping/Sightseeing in a 2wd westy?

I am thinking of going w/ the significant other to Death Valley, CA for her 50th B-Day. Anybody got any Vanagon related tips for the trip in the middle of February? Can I go most places w/o 4wd?

I know, I know, that I am way to thoughtful in planning such a trip for her Big 50, but what the heck, she doesn't want a big party, no cruise to BFE, no trip to Cancun, etc. for that girl-she wants to go camping in the Westy!

Tom-never been to Death Valley, Is it worth seeing?

Yep.