Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:42:39 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 6 Feb 2006 - Special issue (#2006-104)

Everything you're asking about- the odometer problem, speaker depth/mounting/choices, head units etc. are all in the category of 'classic' subjects or threads on the list, so go here:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon

Spend some time searching through the archives for the above and you'll possibly learn more than you really wanted to know.

There are a bunch of listees that have done some very interesting and even innovative work in regards to their stereo systems and many of them even have detailed web pages about it, so hopefully you'll either find those links or they'll put them out there for you.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luke Sponholz" <lukesponholz@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 8:21 PM Subject: Re: vanagon Digest - 6 Feb 2006 - Special issue (#2006-104)

Hello everyone:

I have been lurking on this list for a little while now, and I would finally like to introduce myself and ask a question. Name is Luke, and I have a 1985 Vanagon GL. It was initially the family van, and after my folks decided they no longer wanted it, I decided to take it off their hands and get it back in good shape again.

I've spent a fair amount of money to fix the most significant issues with it. At some point it's going to need a new motor, but that's not in the near future. It also needs a new instrument cluster (non-functioning odometer - I *believe* it's the cluster), but that can wait as well.

Right now I'm working on the important thing. A new stereo. haha! The original head unit was stolen years ago and was replaced with a cheap tape deck. The tape deck barely works now, there is no radio reception, and only one speaker is working. I plan to replace the head unit, the speakers all around, and put in an amp to drive the new speakers.

The plan is to put it an Alpine head unit. On Crutchfield, only a few head units are listed as fitting, and I was told by one of their reps that this is true because most head units are too deep for the Vanagon. On Cardomain, however, they show far more head units as fitting. I am thinking they may have erroneous information, but I was hoping that somebody here may have some insight on this.

I'd like to put separates in the front. The door speakers are only 4", and the smallest separate is 5 1/4". I figure I'll probably be able to fit something like that into the door by cutting out a larger hole for the speaker. I was even thinking, if I'm going to cut, that maybe I could even go with a 6 1/2" separate. The other issue I figure I may have is the depth of the speakers - those doors are pretty thin. I figure I may have to have the speaker jut out from the door panel a bit if it's not thick enough. Does anyone have any experience with installing such speaker setups in these vehicles? Do you know of any aftermarket door panels that I can install that are designed to accept such speakers?

I am glad to have found this list as it looks to be a great resource. I appreciate any and all help that anyone may be able to offer, and I hope at some point I may be of some assistance myself to this group.

Thanks, Luke