Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:38:10 -0700
From:         Adrian Bertarelli <abertarelli@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken alternator bracket studs
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

This happened to me and it is an easy fix. Just takes time. What you need to do is get the bracket and peripheral stuff out of the way. You also need to loose the engine tins on the back side of the van. That will allow you enough room to get a drill in there. I was able to get my dewalt 18 volt in there no problem. If you are worried about space go get a 90 degree drill and you will have no issue. If the studs are just broken you are in great shape. Take a nail punch and lightly tap an indent in the broken part of the stud. Drill in thier with a small drill bit. Then use an easy out. This will go into your drilled hole and catch it and spin it out. If it is stripped or isnt going to come out then you have to drill it, and tap it, or use a helicoil. Either method will give you the same result. I think drilling and tapping is always the best because coils sometimes wear out. This repair can be done no problem with the engine in the car and some time spent on the issue. Don't be afraid and dam it drill straight and in the center of those bolts or you are going to cause yourself a mess. Also you might want to figure out why they are broken. Mine was due to a vibration that ended up with me rebuilding my drive shaft, and tranny. I was loosing bolts and brackets for years before my tranny went and after i rebuilt it never had an issue with this type of thing ever again. Thank god because although it is not a hard fix it is a bit stressful. Adrian

On 2/7/06, Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > If you remove/loosen up some perferal appendages around the engine > compartment,and remove the 4 bolts that hold the engine carrier to the > frame,can you drop the engine/trans assembely a few inches to get clearence > to use a drill? May have to take the exhaust off at the j pipe to the tail > pipe in one section. Just wondering, as I thought of doing this to replace > a main seal without removing the engine.Could stick in a new oil pump at > the same time, I think.Good luck.Sorry to hear about the bracket snafu.It > seems marginal in stregnth to begin with. >