Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:29:45 -0800
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Just replaced the throttle switch and am having drivability issues

My 1.9 doesnt want to creep along in first gear at about 5 mph. Like when driving through a parking lot. It starts bucking and I have to push the clutch in. Same stuff when shifting gears. When I dump the clutch I get the bucking for a moment, then the van takes off.This is more pronounced in the lower gears,and by time I get to third, things are mostly ok.

Idle is about 900rpm.I installed the switch and set it as best I could. I think the worn throttle shaft holes cause a .002-.004 gap to be difficult to set.This with the throttle return spring pulling the throttle shaft towards the rear bumper(Just puts tension towards one side,and maybe the actual gap is variable(my theory)).

The accelerator cable may be hooked up wrong.

I reset the gap for the throttle return stop. I used Bentley instructions. Wiggeling a thin piece of paper between the stop and screw while I turn the screw.When the screw grabs the paper,I turned the screw 1/2 turn more.

Could the timing be off? The idle screw need adjusting?Perhaps a new vacuum leak?A bit of everything detailed above?

New throttle switch is real nice. My surging idle is completely gone. That intermittant switch defect was annoying me for about a year.I found out why the switches are so expensive($73 w/shipping). They are dealer only parts. Venders buy them from a dealer and then resell them. We all know how expensive dealer parts are. Must be a lot of bad switches out there.Actual replacement is ez(I cant get mine to work right-see above).The throttle body needs to be removed to put the new switch on(late 85 onward).

Any suggestions?Thanks,Roger

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new and used cars.