Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:01:46 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: Meineke Brakes
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@mchsi.com>

on 2/9/06 12:31, Al and Sue Brase at albeeee@MCHSI.COM wrote:

> I suppose someone with an MBA could graph it. Raising % of ripoff on > one axis and customer attacks/ vandalism on the other. Would it be > linear or rising to the right? Libillity insurance would definitely go > up if customers were attacking the employees. > No MBA's on this list.? > Al Brase

Yep, there are a few of us on the List. I, for one, chose not to pursue/continue in that line of work because of the nearly global inability of the business world to quantify the unseen good, the intrinsic and the long term against the innately bad, the unnatural and the quick/short term. Past practice and real world experiences of the on-the-ground worker bees are discounted because of some number cruncher's inability to assign a real number/value. It seems to me that the former almost always lose to the latter; presenting the twin horned dilemma of quality vs. quantity (ala Zen and the Art of Vanagon Maintenance with apologies to R Persig). Stepping off the soap box... Anyway, in your question, what's important are the real costs. Realistically and nearly literally customers don't attack/vandalize. They do spread poor word-of-mouth and bad will. Bad juju!! I imagine that the typical Meinike/Midas business model would impute those real losses to business in terms of repeat business and the potential to enhance profits with escalated pricing as the two axes. To a large degree the repeat business will also be mitigated by the street and traffic exposure of the site (real estate). Heavier exposure allows greater prices, because it lessens the need for repeat customers. Just my $.002 (sic) worth. -- Stephen Chillicothe OH