Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:47:53 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: omni engine...
Comments: To: Matthew <mpteleski@YAHOO.COM>

the early omni engine fits in a diesel since it is a carbureted volkswagen 1.7. part of the deal when vw bought the PA plant from chrysler was that they would buy vw engines. hence the early omni's had the 1.7. i saw one installed in a diesel westy in montana. the brain children that did the swap forgot to put a pilot bearing in the crank and the bellhousing was destroyed. i would assume that the installation has the same problem as putting a vw carbed engine in the diesel position. that is that the carb isn't in the correct position to work effectively. i saw a vw carbed swap in montana also and it had starting and running problems. the fix is to modify the intake manifold or make an adapter so that the carb sits in the correct position.

jonathan