Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:31:58 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Meineke Brakes
Comments: To: MrNegNRG@aol.com

In a message dated 2/9/2006 7:58:20 AM Pacific Standard Time, MrNegNRG@AOL.COM writes:

Like I said, man do I feel stupid!

"Meineke Discount Mufflers Shatters Prices!" Remember those low-budget TV ads from the 70s with some model with a deep southern accent in a bikini with a sledge hammer busting a plate glass window out of the front of the store?

Maybe that would be fair recourse. Do you have a bikini?

Much to our demise our culture loves to blame the victim. It culminates in us putting bars on our windows because otherwise we're shamed as being stupid. It's not much of a plan in my opinion. The blame is always on the perpetrator.

The point being there's no reason to feel stupid because you got robbed.

Call the state division of consumer affairs and call the better business bureau armed with the dealer prices for the parts. There's no reason a discount shop should be charging you double what the dealer charges. Find out from these agencies how to proceed and/or file a complaint.

I went through this with my Vanagon when I dealt with the schiesters at Fast German Auto in Santa Ana, CA. I got the appropriate information form the consumer agencies and Fast German very reluctantly agreed that I may have had a point. They were not happy with me and were rude, but I wasn't looking to become friends with them. I have friends. I treat them well. I also treat scheisters well, but I wasn't content with them ripping me off.

I called Fast German and told them my problem. I heard their side of the debate and let them talk and talk and let them dig their own hole. When people are ripping you off they love to talk on and on about how their not rippin gyou off. That's a sure sign they are. After they were all talked out--prompted only by one sentance from me-- I said, "I hear what your saying and I have to disagree. When I spoke with the Division of Consumer Affairs they advised me...."

These rip off places take advantage of people because customers come in and are civilized and polite. Then they hope the customer will feel shamed and quietly take the criminal activity they're doling out.

You merely trusted a mechanic with your car which is the way it's set up. For them to rip you off is on them.

So again, my advice call the appropriate consumer agencies, then call the guy with a polite and civilized list of questions. "I think there must have been a mistake on my bill. I'm probably wrong, so maybe you can explain how it works to me. Vw charges half of what you charge for brake pads, brand new drums from an aftermarket supplier cost $26 each, and I called a couple of shops which charge X for all the labor you did, yet you charged triple."

Meineke "A lot and I mean a lot of double-speak." If there's on thing criminals like more than ripping you off, it's explaining to you how they're not ripping you off.

Then you calmly and professionally drop the, (do your best not to get angry and not to raise your voice. You are explaining the situation like you are the teacher.) "I hear your position. But naturally I am not satisfied. I spoke with the divison of consumer affairs and the BBB and they advised me...." Then explain WHEN you go to small claims court you will be armed with estimates from other mechanics in the area and a price list from VW and a local parts store which will speak to a more reasonable cost for the work and parts supplied. Tell the guy normally you'd let it go, but as the father of a young daughter soon to be out on her own I have an obligation to teach her how the world sometimes works and how this will be an intersting experience for both you and your daughter since neither of you have ever been inside a courthouse.

The mechanic will be a little angry but my guess is you'll never have to go to small claims court. He'll probably call you a so-and-so and say he'd rather give you some money back rather then lose a day going to court. He'll talk about the problem with "people like you." And he'll never be your friend. But you don't need friends like him. You need the situation to end in a way that's satisfying to you.

So, if the guy decides to hold his position on ripping you off, you then can decide on your own (after you're off the phone) whether to go through with the small claims court. In the meantime it's just cost you the time of two phone calls to the consumer agencies and the call to "mechanic." Maybe just making the call will be enough satisfaction. Maybe you'll wanna go to court. Or maybe he'll refund some of your hard earned money that he was so determined to rid you of.

I say do it all as an experiement to see what happens and how you feel after the task. We all already know what it feels like to get ripped off. This might feel better.

That's my two cents. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA