Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:02:32 -0800
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speaking of dashes...is "Armor All" destructive to vinyl?
Comments: To: Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@gmail.com>

Chalk me up as a 25 year Armorall devotee as well. I've used on all kinds of vinyl and rubber, American, Italian and Japanese and had no negative results at all.

Well, there was the one time I did the accelerator, clutch and brake pedals!! :-)

On 2/9/06, Luke Sponholz <lukesponholz@gmail.com> wrote: > > You're probably right. > > I do, however, know that one application of a silicon-based leather > protectant was enough to ruin the leather on a very expensive Hartmann > leather bag. Of course, that is apples to oranges, but I just wanted > to point out that sometimes things can be destroyed by just one > application of something that purports to be a "protectant." > > :-) > > > On 2/9/06, Jim Felder <felder@knology.net> wrote: > > In 30 years of constant use, I've never been dissatisfied with > > ArmorAll. There are no cracks in my current dashes or any that have > > gone before, as far as I know, and my 90 has spent most of its life in > > the Alabama heat and sun (garaged now, thank goodness). > > > > I'm sure Meguiars is good, maybe better, but it sounds to me like > > ArmorAll's destructiveness is an invented problem. If some branch of > > the armed forces has discontinued its use, it's more likely to to > > lobbyist cash than any actual study. And I'd say the anecdotal evidence > > that ArmorAll is OK overwhelms the anecdotal evidence that it isn't. > > > > The idea that a plastic interior component can be turned into "crap" by > > a single application of ArmorAll is preposterous. > > > > Jim > > > > > > On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Luke Sponholz wrote: > > > > > My understanding is that Armor All is destructive to vinyl because of > > > the silicon that is a component of it. What you want to find is a > > > vinyl cleaner/protectant that does not use silicon. > > > > > > I would recommend Meguiars. Outstanding stuff. They have both a > > > consumer line and a professional line. It's pricey, but I use it for > > > everything, including wax, polish, interior cleaners, etc. > > > > > > <disclaimer>I am not affiliated with Meguiars.</disclaimer> > > > > > > On 2/9/06, Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com> wrote: > > >> I was told once that Armor All would accelerate the process of the > > >> oils in > > >> upholstery wicking/evaporating if you applied it and then stopped > > >> using it. > > >> Supposedly if you kept using it you would be ok. I have no way to > > >> know if > > >> any of this is true, but I've heard several anecdotes like yours so > > >> who > > >> knows? I agree that a thick layer of grime is probably the best dash > > >> protection. : ) > > >> I read in Consumer Reports or someplace like that many years ago that > > >> STP > > >> made the most effective upholstery treatment at that time. > > >> > > >> On another note, I was also told by a DCman while I was in the Navy > > >> that > > >> they were no longer allowed to use WD-40 in their preventive > > >> maintenance, in > > >> that the Navy had done extensive tests and determined that the WD-40 > > >> was the > > >> cause for a number of repeated instances of premature failure of > > >> various > > >> kinds of machinery. Again, I don't have any way of knowing if it's > > >> true that > > >> it is harmful in that way but ever since then I've always thought of > > >> that > > >> whenever I see a can. > > >> > > >> Cya, > > >> Robert > > >> > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > >> From: <JordanVw@AOL.COM> > > >> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > >> Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:02 AM > > >> Subject: Re: Speaking of dashes...is "Armor All" destructive to > vinyl? > > >> > > >> > > >>> In a message dated 2/9/06 11:40:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, > > >>> dshowers@CPDS.NET writes: > > >>> > > >>> > > >>>> Also, has anyone removed the padding bar from the sheet metal of > > >>>> the dash > > >>>> and replaced it with something else? My "friend" did me a "favor" > > >>>> and > > >>>> put > > >>>> armor all on it and it is now crap. > > >>>> > > >>>> > > >>> > > >>> yes, there is just dead space under there, so if you carefully > > >>> drilled 2 > > >>> holes with a big hole cutting bit on a drill, then you could maybe > > >>> slide > > >>> some PVC > > >>> pipe inserts down in there to house cups. > > >>> > > >>> ps, what did the Armor All do to the dash?? > > >>> > > >>> i had my dash in my Audi crack after years of armor all use. my > > >>> mom, who > > >>> never cleaned her dash, never had a problem, and her Audi sat > > >>> ungaraged > > >>> for > > >>> years in the elements. > > >>> > > >>> is armor all destructive to vinyl?? > > >>> > > >>> ps, i have nice brown or black dashpads if anyone needs them..no > > >>> cracks.. > > >>> chris > > >> > > > > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com