Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:23:02 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: one more for the dealer
Comments: To: chris jackson <chriscjack@BIGPLANET.COM>

Get used to this with many cars and dealers. The issue is not just 10 years, but the 1996 model year. Starting in 1996, cars are required to be OBDII, (On Board Diagnostics) compliant. This created minimum and universal standards for recording faults and allowing non proprietary systems to interface and monitor the systems. Most auto specialty tool companies make devices or software that can talk to these vehicles. Many shops are getting away from the model specific equipment required for the older vehicles. Even emission inspection will tough to get as the newer vehicles have enough fault recording to eliminate the need for dyno testing. Dynos in NY are disappearing. My brother has the new NYS testing set up for the OBDII vehicles and I got to see the inspection test on my wife's 1998 Audi. Basically, he plugged the state PC into the car. Followed the on screen prompts. He started the engine when told to. The car reported that it was ready to test, had no faults, battery was not recently disconnected to clear faults and the emissions test was done.

Dennis